Ooey, Gooey Goodness at Heidel House Resort & Spa
28 Aug, 2015
August 30th is known as National Toasted Marshmallow Day. In honor of that, we are introducing our new S’mores Bar!
The unforgettable sights and sounds of the lake just got a little tastier with Heidel House Resort & Spa’s newly acquired S’mores Bar. You will be able to toast your marshmallows and build endless s’mores – the perfect way to top off a dinner for your group!
- The first printed s’mores recipe appeared in 1927 in the Girl Scout handbook called, Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts. Folklore tells us the name “S’mores” came about because everyone who tasted one asked for “some more.”
- Ancient Egyptians were the first to enjoy a gooey treat now called marshmallow as early as 2000 BC. The treat was considered very special and it was reserved for gods and royalty.
- The largest s’more ever made weighed 1,600 lbs. and used 20,000 toasted marshmallows and 7,000 chocolate bars. The record was set on May 23, 2003.
- After World War II, America was on the go. More and more families bought cars and began taking family vacations to campgrounds and national parks. Making s’mores over campfires became increasingly popular during this decade.
- In the 1960’s, during the wintertime, families enjoyed fun outdoor activities like ice skating. To warm everyone up back at home, Mom made classic s’mores in her new electric range.
- Over 50% of marshmallows sold during the summer months are toasted over a fire.
Stop in to celebrate or just to cozy up beside the fire pit while you enjoy the gooey goodness of toasted marshmallows and rich s’mores during the crisp autumn months.
Our S’mores Bar does require advance reservation, so please call ahead and it can be added to your group activity or dinner bill.
Whether you’re interested in Heidel House Resort, Evensong Spa, or our premier lakeside dining restaurant, Grey Rock, our emails keep you up to date on what’s happening year-round on property.