Un-Cork at Evensong Spa!
03 Nov, 2016
The origins of vinotherapy can be traced back to France in the early 1970s when pharmacologist Joseph Vercauteron discovered that grapes were rich in polyphenols and had beneficial effects on skin. Since then, in addition to drinking a glass of wine for heart health, wine therapy continues to be a hot trend in the spa industry. Treatments based on grapes and wine relax, regenerate and help rejuvenate facial and body skin.
Research has long indicated that red wine is beneficial for the heart. Beauty experts continue to discover the vast benefits wine imparts when applied topically. Resveratrol, a potent antioxidant found in high concentrations in grape seeds, stems and skins is easily absorbed by the skin, and is shown to reduce inflammation and slow the oxidation process that often causes fine lines and wrinkles.
Wine is also known to provide the following benefits:
- Reduced cardiovascular health risks
- Resveratrol in grape skin is known to have cardio protective effects
- Chemo protective effects
- Decrease in the risk of lung cancer
- Decrease in the risk for Alzheimer’s disease
Benefits of Vinotherapy in skin care
The rationale behind this unique therapy lies in the essence of the grape – the main ingredient in wine making. From the seeds, leaves, and skin of the red grapes which contain polyphenols, procyanidols, and antocyanosides. Many scientists believe that these polyphenols are up to 50 times stronger than vitamin E and 20 times stronger than vitamin C. Grapes also contain an abundance of vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, B1, C, E and K, in addition to magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium and phosphorus all of which are beneficial to the skin and body.
Wine therapy is also being used in spas to soothe frayed nerves and relax the stressed tissues, helps in the production of antibodies, soothes the nervous system, improves circulation and builds up the immune system.
Evensong Spa is celebrating with the Heidel House Resort & Spa’s second annual Wine Fest event taking place, Saturday November 19th by offering their own special wine themed services. Schedule now as spots are filling fast and these are only available for a limited time!
- The Quick Sip Express Facial uses our Wine Down serum derived from Texas winery grapes that help to diminish wrinkles and seal in moisture while your face is cleansed and exfoliated, followed by a facial massage to reduce muscle tension.
- Enjoy a Wine Down Body treatment that uses a blend of grapefruit extract and sea salt to exfoliate the body as you receive a back, neck and shoulder massage to ‘wine down’ from the fun paced summer days. Afterwards, a body serum of unriped fruit will be applied to reduce inflammation and increase relaxation.
- The Grape Escape Pedicure soaks your feet in a warm honey magnolia footbath as you enjoy a glass of wine. After the service, our Wine Down serum will be applied to deliver potent antioxidants to the skin.
Call 920.294.3347 to book your vinotherapy experience today. Services are available November 18 – 20, 2016.
In health and happiness,
Evensong Spa Director