Did you know? 10 Facts About Green Lake Area Bike Trails
23 Mar, 2015
1. Did you know the Mascoutin Trail, find a gravel surface route, covers 12 miles across three counties? There are 3.5 miles of trail in Green Lake County, 5.5 miles in Winnebago County and 3 miles in Fond du Lac County.
2. In 2014, the Green Lake Trail became the first paved, non-motorized trail in Green Lake County.
3. What better way to enjoy Green Lake than with biking around Big Green? Those choosing to experience Loop the Lake can ride 27 miles of entirely paved trails (on-road routes), or choose routes with paved and unpaved portions. This map clarifies these sections of Loop the Lake.
4. Rare species of birds can be seen along Green Lake area trails. Look for American White Pelican, Eared Grebe and Canvasback Duck.
5. On-road portions of the Loop the Lake trail pass area-favorite golf courses: The Golf Courses of Lawsonia and Tuscumbia Golf Course.
6. The Mascoutin Trail’s name dates back to the Mascoutin Indian Tribe.
7. Green Lake Area trails are made possible by Green Lake Greenways and community support. Green Lake Greenways has a mission “to facilitate the development of a regional network of trails and greenways that will preserve the natural beauty of our area and provide safe recreation for all.”
9. The popular Mascoutin Trial is actually a reclaimed part of the Milwaukee Road Railroad.
10. Signature bird species spotted along Green Lake area trails include Swamp Sparrow, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Gray Catbird.
Green Lake Greenways and Heidel House Resort & Spa invite you to enjoy portions of these beautiful trails, and more, in person during the 6th annual Gear Up Green Lake Fundraiser Bike Ride on Saturday, May 23. In addition to a ride with routes of 14 to 100 miles long, Gear Up Green Lake will include a Taste of Wisconsin lunch, live entertainment by two area favorites and a Build-A-Bike competition to benefit local children of the Boys & Girls Club of the Tri-County Area.
Registration is just $30 for a limited time. This fee includes a map with well-marked bike routes, rest stops with refreshments and restrooms provided by area sponsors, SAG support, a Taste of Wisconsin lunch reception with live entertainment, shower facilities and t-shirts guaranteed for all registered participants before May 1, 2015.
Whether you’re interested in Heidel House Resort, Evensong Spa, or our premier lakeside dining restaurant, Grey Rock, our emails keep you up to date on what’s happening year-round on property.